Freitag, 30. Oktober 2015

Interesting article: Why I am not Orthodox

This article is very interesting. Though he goes too far - in my opinion - when he states: "I now regard commitment to any institutionalised form of religion, Christian or otherwise, as incompatible with the pursuit of truth and wisdom." But what he says about his problems with the Orthodox Church is very worth pondering. I like the first and the fourth point he makes most, this coincides with my experience. The second and third point I cannot agree fully with. I don't believe that the Church is meant to be an absolute democratically institution (a family isn't neither), there is the need for "Fathers",  for "Shepherds".  And concerning his third point I would say: maybe there is an "over-indulging in liturgical practices", but precisely the rituals make the orthodox worship special and create an divine and holy atmosphere that attracts people.
I wish my greek orthodox friends here in Frankfurt/Germany would read an consider this. But I fear he is right when he says: "Centuries-old institutions like the Orthodox Church are too heavily invested in power and prestige to allow for genuine challenges to their beliefs and practices. "

Here is the link to this article: Why I am not Orthodox

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen